Museum Flood Funding Program
The AMA is pleased to administer the Museum
Flood Funding Program in collaboration with Alberta Culture and
Tourism to aid in the recovery of Alberta's heritage community.
About the Museum Flood Funding Program
Many museums in Alberta were affected by severe weather and
floods in June 2013. The Government of Alberta is committed to
supporting recovery and rebuilding in every impacted community
through its Provincial Recovery Framework. The Alberta Museums
Association (AMA) is pleased to administer a funding program in
collaboration with Alberta Culture to aid in the recovery of
Alberta's heritage community.
Museums are leading contributors to the social, cultural, and
educational fabric of Alberta, and the Museum Flood Funding Program
will work to minimize the short- and long-term effects of the
floods on museum collections and prepare institutions for future
disaster planning. The Alberta museum community appreciates the
Government of Alberta's commitment to flood-impacted non-profit and
cultural institutions, and we will continue to work together to
ensure museums have the resources they need for their vital role
1. Who can apply?
AMA Institutional Members in good standing:
- Affected by floods in Summer 2013, or
- At risk of future riverine flooding.
To find out if your institution is at risk, please refer to the
Government of Alberta's Flood Hazard Mapping.
2. What can be covered?
- Direct costs not covered by either the Disaster Recovery Program or insurance.
- Short-term recovery and conservation requirements for museum
- Long-term conservation requirements for museum
- Disaster Planning, Emergency Preparedness, and Conservation
Assessments for future disaster management.
3. How is conservation being defined?
Conservation "describes all actions taken to safeguard cultural
and scientific objects and ensure their preservation for the
future" (Alberta Museums Association, Standard Practices Handbook
for Museums, 3rd Ed., 2014, 205).
4. How will funding decisions be made?
The Museum Flood Funding Program will be an adjudicated
5. How does this funding fit with the AMA Grants
- This is a two-year program designed to support the immediate
recovery of Alberta's museum community and the long-term
preparedness of museums to deal with future disasters.
- Applicants who apply for future funding to the AMA Grants
Program cannot consider Flood Funds as part of their matching